RE: TR-6 cooling systems

To: British-Cars@Autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR-6 cooling systems
From: Greg Meboe <MEBOE@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 94 13:58:31 PDT
Ian,
     The voltage range of your gage is 0-12v.  The voltage is ensured by the
voltage regulator.  I believe on your car, it is on the back of the
speedometer.  It is a little box about the size of your thumb, and has two
sets of Lucar blade-type connectors on it.  Green feeds it fused battery
voltage, and it uses a variable gain off the speedometer body ground to
regulate the light green/green voltage to 12v.
  Use a voltmeter and check to see that you have 12 volts coming out of the
voltage regulator.  Measure from the female Lucar terminals on the voltage
regulator to a suitable ground.
  If you have 12v there, reconnect your LG/G wire. Turn ON the ignition of
the car, and pull the green/blue wire off of the temp sender at the engine.
Have a lovely assistant touch this wire to a suitable ground, and see what
the gauge registers.  If it's full hot, your gauge is functioning properly.
If it's not full hot, you may have a bad gauge, or even a few wire strands
broken in your green/blue wire (unlikely, but possible since the insulation
on this wire in particular is susceptible to heat embrittlement).
  I'm not sure of the resistance range of the sender, but I would suspect
the sender if both the voltage regulator and the gauge check out OK.

  I run a 20-lb cap on my Spit-6, trying to keep it as cool as possible.
I don't have a BL parts book in front of me, but I think I remember the
earlier TR-6's taking a lighter cap.  You should have no problems however,
using a 14-lb cap on your car.  I think that if your car does in fact run
this cool, you have everyone's envy here on the list.

     I hope this helps,
                         Greg Meboe  MEBOE@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
                         Dept of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                         Washington State University   Pullman, Wash.
                         '67 Spit-6 (Daily)    '74 TR-6 (In Progress)