Re: Groton Auto - Update

To: DON BATSFORD <BATSFORD@bbn.com>
Subject: Re: Groton Auto - Update
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 1994 17:16:51 -0400
 You write:

> Greetings -

> Back in the middle of last winter (with several feet of the white stuff
> on the ground) someone mentioned Groton Autobody as a possible source
> for some lbc units...

> ... Example 2: 1971
> (same year as mine) TR6 just repainted dark blue needs interior and
> frame has some rot in the usual trouble spot by the dif.(someone did a
> quick weld a plate to the bottom of the frame in one spot - but in still
> needs work) price: $5,000 US.

Thanks for the pointer to Groton Autobody.

That sounds a lot like a car I saw for sale in Metro Boston many
years ago.  Actually, now that I've just looked up the ad, it was
*EXACTLY* 4 years ago! (11 jul 1990).  Here's my message from then:

> To: british-cars@alliant.alliant.com
> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 21:52:16 -0400

> I'm considering a TR6 for sale in the Boston area...
> The car is in essentially good
> shape.  The body is ok, but has been fiberglass patched on the front
> wings behind the wheels, on the top of the wings along the bonnet,
> and at the top of the rear wings along the boot (trunk) lid.  The
> floors are solid, except for a small patch at the outside front
> corners (right next to the front tires.)  The rockers have been
> replaced -- they look good.  The fiberglass job could have been done
> better, but can be seen from about 6 feet from car on a careful
> glance.  Whole car repainted (near original color) in Spring
> '89.  Frame seems ok, but a big metal plate has been bolted onto
> the center underside of the frame.  Body shows no sign of damage
> severe enough to damage that part of the frame (essentially no rust
> on frame.)

> Well, this '71 TR6 (CC63556) is being sold for $2700/bo.  The owner
> is in no hurry to sell it, and was amazingly honest in pointing out
> every little thing that was wrong with the car (even pointing out a
> few problems I missed in my once-over.)  Opinions?  (As if I have to
> ask! :-)

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter        | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders           | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
PTP2-A001                  |
65 River Road              | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051           | Fax:   (603) 885-0631