Groton Auto - Update

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Groton Auto - Update
From: DON BATSFORD <BATSFORD@BBN.COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 94 15:46:36 EDT
Greetings -

Back in the middle of last winter (with several feet of the white stuff
on the ground) someone mentioned Groton Autobody as a possible source
for some lbc units - as you may not remember, I volunteered to stop in
and see what these guys have around after the snow melted.  Well, I got
a chance to talk to the guy that owns the place and got the nickel tour.
Currently he has a couple of TR6 units that might make OK projects, but
from the net traffic I have seen on prices, he seems to be a little on
the steep side ($$$$$). Example, 1976 TR6 with rot behind both door
posts (otherwise hardtop and int. OK) for $6,000 US. Example 2: 1971
(same year as mine) TR6 just repainted dark blue needs interior and
frame has some rot in the usual trouble spot by the dif.(someone did a
quick weld a plate to the bottom of the frame in one spot - but in still
needs work) price: $5,000 US.  There are several other cars (TR4A,
TR250, TR6, MGB, TR3) that are all in various states - from a few good
parts to could be restored with a lot of tlc - priced from $500 US on
up.  I have no connection with this establishment - these brief
observations are for list info. purposes only - if you are interested in
seeing these cars they are located on rte. 119 in Groton, MA.  The
parting comment that the fellow made to me was "I am not interested in a
lot of browsers, but if folks have money in hand and they are ready to
buy I'll talk"

The bottomline: after talking to this guy he is convinced that folks
from the UK are combing the US and paying "big bucks" then shipping
lbc's back to the UK with little regard for the current condition of the
vehicle.

Don "just a little more bodywork and we'll be ready to paint" Batsford

Batsford@bbn.com                   These opinions might be mine or not