Re: Registering/Smogging a Mini in California.

To: don@vestek.com (Don Labutay)
Subject: Re: Registering/Smogging a Mini in California.
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 1994 16:31:21 -0500 (CDT)
don@vestek.com writes >

> I'm interested in buying this 1973 Austin Mini in Canada and sending it
> to California.  Can I register it and pass the smog too?   I looked up
> the Smog book and this '73 Mini is not listed,

There is a good reason for that.

> It also doesn't come with a smog pump.

This is the least of your worries. If putting on a smog pump was all you
had to worry about, this would be a breeze.

Good luck getting it into the country!  Minis made after January 1, 1968
are not certified for sale in the USA.  I know of a few, and there are
weird stories about them.

One could find a wrecked 1967 and buy it for the title...  But in
California, the State emissions testers will get involved.  If one could
find an title old enough for them to ignore...  What is that, Californians?
1962?

Of course, I would NEVER advocate that you break the law or attempt to
defraud the governments of the USA or California.  This conversation has
been strictly hypothetical.