Re: Sports 2+2 needed

To: ERIC@chip.cba.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: Sports 2+2 needed
From: pgarside@acorn.co.uk (Paul Garside)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 94 12:18:02 BST

Eric,

I'm in just the same position, shopping for a 2+2. I've
had three MGBs (2 GTs and a roadster), so I've been there
a bit.

No longer being a wind-in-the-hair type, I'm tending towards
a Jensen. They still look gorgeous, have a simple Mopar 440
(or a smaller one on earlier models) with factory air and
autotrans. Now this may be the sort of thing you over there
are trying to get away from, and I can understand that; but
it's a novelty to us over here. And sports cars are about
driving something different, aren't they? For you, there
would be the benefit of cheap repairs and performance
equipment anywhere. The 440 I drove was hardly a ball of
fire, so there must be enormous scope for development.

I drove one last week (Pounds 5500), and it handled OK.
The suspension is solid rear axle, and it is a heavy car,
but it's got a pretty european ride - fairly stiff and well-damped.
No worse than my old DB-6, anyhow (which is not saying much!).

Beware the rotting sills, but there's a lot of metal there to rot
away! Parts are cheap in the UK.

Happy hunting!

Paul.