Re: British Motorfest '94

To: RGS03%ALBNYDH2.bitnet@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU
Subject: Re: British Motorfest '94
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 14:28:58 -0400 (EDT)
Dear Scions,

On Tue, 12 Jul 1994 RGS03%ALBNYDH2.bitnet@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU wrote:

> July 24, 1994 at Central Park in Schenectady, NY Adirondack Triumph
> Association will be hosting the fifth annual British Motorfest, a
> provided. Registration is $10 per car and only registered entrants
> can vote. Spectators admission is free. Trophies will be awarded for
>
> Rik Schlierer

I don't want to pick on this particular show, which sounds like a fine
event, but it illustrates something that has puzzled and annoyed me.  I
entered my bugeye in a show a month or so ago, just for display and not to
be judged.  It cost me $10 to show the car.  It would have cost me only $5
to attend the show as a spectator.

Can anyone explain the rationale whereby the people who *provide* the show
(the car owners) pay more than the people who *attend* the show?  In the
case of the show Rik is promoting, the spectators pay nothing and the car
owners pay $10 each.  Isn't this backward?

Any ideas why this is so often the case?  I have often wondered why so
many nice cars are in the parking lot rather than in the show.  Maybe
now I am beginning to understand.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910