Smog pumps

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Smog pumps
From: bryan@roborough.gpsemi.COM (Duncan Bryan)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 94 13:28:09 BST
Hello,

        I noticed mention of a smog pump fitted to Mini's.
What, pray tell, is a smog pump?
Is it like a catalytic converter?
Presumably it removes unburnt hydorcarbons and other nasties.

        Smog isn't really a problem over here.. yet.  I live in Devon,
the traffic density is low. London, Birmingham and Manchester on the
other hand are just starting to observe smog in hot weather.

        Anyway, on a different tack. My Citroen has just passed the 171,000
mile mark and should be at 250,000 miles by this time the year after next
( I commute a long way ). It had 91K on the clock when I got it 2 years ago.

        Anyone else out there with a similarly high mileage car?
What type of preventative maintenance do other long distance
commuters do? What spares do they keep handy? What do they carry with them
spares and tool wise?

As a general rule I use synthetic or semi synthetic 15w50 or 5W50 oil. I change
this every 3 or 4 months. I have not added a PTFE engine or gearbox additive.
Anyone any experience of these additives? Especially with synthetic oil.
My usual commute speed is anything from 50 to 95 MPH, so anything that
reduces friction will help save some petrol pennies.

My average fuel cost for commuting is currently 35 pounds sterling a week.
 40 if I'm in a hurry and 28 if I take it easy.

No more inane ramblings for now.

                     __\/__
                 .  / ^  _ \  .
                 |\| (o)(o) |/|
             -.OOOo----oo----oOOO.-------
              GO HOME... GO HOME....
                KEEP TAKING THE TABLETS
                  .oooO  (   )
                   \ (   (_/
                    \_)

Duncan Bryan.
bryan@roborough.gpsemi.com

My Citroen says Made in France......oh well.