Spitfire Engine Plate

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Engine Plate
From: GNH.Wbst207V@xerox.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 05:51:37 PDT
Sorry to involve everyone, but I can't select the Spitfire-only group....

I just started reassembly of an 1147cc engine for my fiancee's Mk I Spitfire.
My concern:  The front engine plate, a weldment which includes
accommodation for the motor mounts, is bent.  The bend is between
the timing chain cover and one motor mount pad.  I'd be real surprised
if the bend belongs there - it appears to be the result of a heavy hit to
the front end of the car it came from  (I bought the engine at a flea
market this Spring).

Would someone reassure me that the plate should be flat?  And while
we're at it, does anyone have a flat one I could buy?  Failing that, I'll
attempt to straighten the bent one.  Thanks in advance.

George Haynes
1965 TR4A, BRG, IRS, Surrey Top, Overdrive
1956 MGA, Dove Grey, live axle, soft top, Overdrive
1964 Spitfire Mk I, anxious to be driven again!