Re: Smog pumps

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Smog pumps
From: Mike Causer <mike@setanta.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 94 14:03:49 BST
Duncan Bryan asked:

>       Anyway, on a different tack. My Citroen has just passed the 171,000
>  mile mark and should be at 250,000 miles by this time the year after next
>  ( I commute a long way ). It had 91K on the clock when I got it 2 years ago.

>       Anyone else out there with a similarly high mileage car?

I run one of those notoriously unreliable Lotuses,  with 197,000 miles on the
clock at 10.8 years old.  It's let me down once -- when I'd worn out the
contact in the start position of the ignition switch, but took half a day
to figure out where the problem was.

>  What type of preventative maintenance do other long distance commuters do?

Dealer service,  and the same dealer all its life too.

>  What spares do they keep handy?

Light bulbs.

>  What do they carry with them spares and tool wise?

Small tool box, with spanners (wrenches to MFOTP), some electrical wire, roll
of tank tape (gaffer tape), baby wipes, torch (flashlight).

For a trip to Hungary I added a throttle cable and some octane booster in case
98-octane wasn't available (it was).

> As a general rule I use synthetic or semi synthetic 15w50 or 5W50 oil.

D'accord!  I use Castrol's best.

>  My Citroen says Made in France......oh well.

Ahh, but you can claim a tenuous LBC connection; Citroens were made in
Slough during the fifties & early sixties.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike Causer           Setanta Technology        mike@setanta.demon.co.uk
                         Cambridge UK