Re: 87 XJS Trouble

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 87 XJS Trouble
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 1994 19:25:32 -0400 (EDT)
Mike said:

> > I have a problem and have checked all the obvious. When started (cold) RPM
> > goes to 800+ for fraction of a second,
> > drops to about 100 and stumbles, heasitates with acceleration
> > and generally runs rough for a minute or two.
> > Any suggestions?
> Yes and no.  I'll venture a quess based on my knowledge of Bosche
> K-Jetronic systems.  I'm willing to bet that your system is probably
> a Bosche pulsed FI system, but I beleive the same will apply.

Bosch K-jet theory, pratice, and diagnostic procedures apply only to K-jet.
Jaguar has used D, L, and P-jet. All these systems use electronics to
control fuel delivery, temp compensation, etc. The K-jet mechanical system
is unique in it's ingenious use of the fuel itself as a medium in a purely
hydraulic control.

  In other words, Jags don't even have a warm-up (control) pressure regulator.

> > Is there a good trouble shooting guide for this model?
> For the FI system you want Bentley Book's Bosche FI troubleshoting/repair
> guide.  Sorry, I don't remember the exact title.  You'll also need about
> $150 in tools -- a high pressure guage, a special resistor and a few
> other little bits.

 I don't remember the Bentley book covering the Lucas variant of P-Jet as used
on the later XJS. Do you have a copy handy to check (I don't)?

 The surge is most likely due to the idle control system. It's also probable
that the idle control system is running out of range trying to cover for
an external problem; not necessarily in the injection.

 Dennis, the very first thing I would do is pop off both air filters and
inspect the throttle bores and butterflies. If there is a lot of gunk build-up,
clean it all out. Use no abrasives... only carb cleaner and a soft rag.

   Randy "racers don't know the meaning of sleep" Wilson
     randy@taylor.infi.net

BTW, an SOLers go to Watkins Glen this weekend? Many LCB's... several Minis
I hadn't seen before, that red E-type, and the usual gaggle of spridgets.
Alas, due to a broken suspension followed by an altercation with the baby blue
armco, I didn't get to see any of them qualify or race. :<