Re: 87 XJS Trouble

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 87 XJS Trouble
From: msharp@Synopsys.COM (Michael Sharp)
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 94 09:21:29 PDT
Dennis Robins writes:
> Subject: 87 Jaguar XJS Trouble

Could it be the SUs are misadjusted?
What?  An 87?  Not a 67?  Oh...
8-)

> I have a problem and have checked all the obvious. When started (cold) RPM
> goes to 800+ for fraction of a second,
> drops to about 100 and stumbles, heasitates with acceleration
> and generally runs rough for a minute or two.
> Any suggestions?
Yes and no.  I'll venture a quess based on my knowledge of Bosche
K-Jetronic systems.  I'm willing to bet that your system is probably
a Bosche pulsed FI system, but I beleive the same will apply.

If this where happening on my 924 (sorry guys I'll say 10 'Hail to
trunions' as pennance) I'd certainly think it was the 'warm up regulator'
in the FI system.  This regulator drops the fuel pressure during
cold starts (cold being any car that hasn't run in the last 15-20
minutes).  I'd be checking the system and control pressures in a flash
to determine what was going on.

Of course this is _wild_ speculation.  Regardless I think you'll be
digging into your FI system.

> Is there a good trouble shooting guide for this model?
For the FI system you want Bentley Book's Bosche FI troubleshoting/repair
guide.  Sorry, I don't remember the exact title.  You'll also need about
$150 in tools -- a high pressure guage, a special resistor and a few
other little bits.

        --Mike (who is going to look real silly if his memory of XJS
                using Bosche FI is wrong!)