mail order hydraulics

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: mail order hydraulics
From: JWCHESLEY@aamc.org
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 18:04:32 -0500
Richard asks:
>>question about lever shocks.  I am restoring a 73 Midget
and am thinking about getting the lever shocks rebuilt by a
company named Apple Hydraulics.  Does anyone have any
information/comments about this firm?  Richard Hauser>>

uh oh, if no one has some POSITIVE input on Apple
Hydraulics, I have a general tale of woe... I TRIED to get
rebuilt lever shocks for my '74 midget from a place in
California (I'm in Maryland) - they were junk!  I called to
complain and the guy said 'No problem, send them back and
I'll replace them."... see where this is going?... anyway, the
next ones were junk, and the next ones... and I finally gave
up, since it was costing me $15 in shipping each time I sent
them back across the country.  Maybe I was just unlucky,
or maybe he was painting the cores black and sending them
on to the next sucker???  I don't know.  I think the place
was called Star Hydraulics and then changed the name to
Jack's Hydraulics (NO RELATION!!!) or vice versa.  I got the
name from Hemmings, and they may have a new name by
now, hmmmm???   Anyway, most british shops will have a
guarantee on their rebuilt shocks and will have found a
reliable source.  I'd definitely patronize a local shop if there
is one!!!
- jack