Regression of comprehension of Compression thru discussion.

To: British-Cars@Autox.team.net
Subject: Regression of comprehension of Compression thru discussion.
From: Greg Meboe <MEBOE@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 94 14:49:06 PDT
Wow,
  Lots of good letters have just been written on this subject.
   ( Chip Old, Roger Garnett, William Woodruff )

Randy Wilson, I think you misunderstood me.  I was making a simplified piston-
cylinder model based on a flattop, two-valve setup like that commonly found
on older English cars, hence the math was setup for a Triumph 2-litre six.

What you say about combustion chambers being below the deck is certainly
applicable to modern cars.  The flat-head Jag 12 was somewhat of a singularity,
and the H.E. was a much better design than the flat-head.  The H.E. cylinder
head design, however, relies on a swirling effect that derives from intense
turbulent fluid mechanics research.  I haven't taken the time to investigate
the H.E. head from a fluid mechanics perspective, but I imagine it could get
pretty gnarly quickly.

I guess I wasn't too clear on the 'compromise' resulting from milling the
head.  Torque is calculated from Pressure*Volume, and while milling the head
increases the Pressure, it decreases the volume.  Hence the compromise.

Boring out the cylinder increases Volume and Pressure.  As I said in my first
post, the compromise in milling the head works, (for older English cars!!)

   Happy calculating !

                         Greg Meboe  MEBOE@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu
                         Dept of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                         Washington State University   Pullman, Wash.
                         '67 Spit-6 (Daily)    '74 TR-6 (In Progress)