MGB overdrive problem

To: british-2 <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB overdrive problem
From: Glenn Mapes <gmapes@ball.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 94 10:39:00 mdt
Hello everyone:
   Overdrive problems seem to be popular lately.  Here is my story (68 MGB):
after driving for awhile (overdrive disengaged), the engine rpms drop about
500-600 rpm when I let up on the gas. This happens in any gear. Stepping on
the gas immediately causes the rpms to return to where they should be.  I
bought the car  four years ago and drove it for three years before having
major body work done and the car off the road for a year.  Just after
purchasing the car, I replaced the overdrive filter and filled the gearbox
with 30 wt oil and did not have any problems with the overdrive.   The
previous owner 'fixed' a problem with the overdirve (won't work in 3rd gear)
by removing washers or shims from some part of the overdrive.  As I spent
much time and money correcting the PO's fixes, I disconnected the solenoid
to prevent the overdrive from being turned on.  The PO had also welded new
rocker panels on over a rusted out frame and that is why the car was off the
road for a year.  I had to replace inner and outer rocker panels, etc...
Once painted and back on the road, the overdrive problem apperaed after 500
miles.  I don't know if the car being off the road had anything to do.
Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on where to begin troubleshooting?
Should I just have the overdrive rebuilt or can I use a heavier weight oil
(20/50 or 40 wt) and put off a rebuild for awhile? Any help will be greatly
appreciated.
     Glenn Mapes  (1968 MBG - daily driver)