TR-6 Gearbox Leak

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-6 Gearbox Leak
From: rjs@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com (Bob Skelly)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 94 09:44:24 EDT
I pulled the TR-6 out of the garage recently and discovered a change in the
oil-spot signature on the floor.  Looked like the oil seal at the rear of the
gearbox extension was leaking gear oil.  I removed all of the interior
components so that I could get a view from the top just to make sure... yep,
it's leaking.

My questions are:

1. Can I replace this oil seal without yanking the gearbox assembly out of the
car?

2. How do I get to the oil seal? (It looks like the rear mainshaft flange can
be removed)

3. How do I remove the oil seal once I get to it?

4. How do I properly install the new seal?

Can anybody help me out?   Thanks in advance...

-Bob

Bob Skelly                                      rjs@caess1.cae.aro.allied.com
Applications Engineer                                  bob_skelly@mentorg.com
Mentor Graphics Corporation                                    (301) 990-1265