re: TR-7 Water Pump

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: TR-7 Water Pump
From: <amace%sedofis@VM1.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 94 12:23:06 EST
 A mostly non-LBC answer to a mostly non-LBC question. Regarding
 Saab 99 water pumps: simple job. Unbolt everything hovering over the
 housing, undo the bolts that hold the housing, get your air chisel, and
 go to town on that housing. From my limited experience (but also
 from countless tales regarding this job), one usually destroys the
 housing (cover) upon removal, as it tends to *weld* itself to the
 head. Fellow SOLer Rik Schlierer and I once had Mrs. Murphy, his
 1974 99, in the air (front wheels off the ground) for quite a length
 of time, car suspended on a porta-power setup braced on the hose
 outlet of the water pump cover. The cover finally snapped! ;-(

 This is truly a case of *They ALL do that!*

 You might be luckier; but be safe and buy the housing when you buy the
 pump.

 Also, be SURE to get the correct pump; in my long-gone '76 99, we
 installed what turned out to be the wrong pump, assembled everything
 and got almost 1/4 turn out of the starter before everything jammed up
 tight, necessitating yet another new water pump AND a new idler shaft
 which, of course, meant pulling the engine, because Saab puts them
 in backwards....

 BTW, mandatory LBC content: yes, the 99's engine is derivative of
 the TR7, etc. Triumph-Riccardo engine. Aside from that: Rik and I
 once traced a non-working horn in his '74 99 to the (you guessed it)
 Lucas horn brush in the steering wheel!

 Andy Mace