Lights and relays

To: british-cars@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Lights and relays
From: todd@mudbug.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 16:55:25 +0600
(Note:  I originally composed this message for Skip Cusack.  I actually
sent it out today (7 27 94), and _then_ read about his leaving.  Typical
of my luck.  Anyway, do any of you "know all about" this?)

In a recent SOL Digest, Skip wrote:
> I have figured out a way to implement the low/high on/on concept
> with ONE relay...

I've been thinking of lighting mods too, but I don't know how to ask for/get
the relays I want.  I understand the concept of a relay, but I'm not familiar
with the conventions used by the various manufacturers.  For instance, I'm
sure they've grouped relays together by "types", but I've no idea what those
types might be.  And if there are any conventions about which terminals are
normally grounded or hot, I don't know what they are.

How do I walk into a store and buy the exact relay I want?

Thanks for any and all help,

-todd
todd@mudbug.nrlssc.navy.mil

'74 MGB              100K mi
'84 VW Rabbit Diesel 176K mi (broken timing belt; immobile)
'84 Volvo 245GL      173K mi
'85 Nishiki Prestige custom  (not ridden these days; make an offer)

"People said it because other people said it.  They did not know why it
was being said and heard everywhere.  They did not give or ask for
reasons."
                      - Ayn Rand, from _Atlas Shrugged_