Re: ZS Carb damper leaks

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ZS Carb damper leaks
From: Pschauss@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 94 21:46:22 EDT
Mike:

>>  Is the clip holding the
>>  screw in a c-clip or a star washer type thing?

It's a star shape.  If you push it straight up it will score the
inside of the tube.  (Ask me how I know.)  The idea is to get
in there with some sort of probe after you have pushed it up
from the top of the screw and flip it sideways.  Then it will
fall right out.

If you do score the inside of the damper tube a bit, don't
worry.  I ran my car that way for two years until I replace the
single Z-S with a pair of SUs.  The small score marks did
not appear to cause a problem.

>>And does the o-ring fit in a slot in the screw or does it rest on the
>>bottom of the tube?  I ask this last question because since mine is not
>>working, it wouldn't be a good example to work from...

The screw has a slot in it which holds the o-ring.  I bought
a new screw, o-ring, and  clip from VB (for my 1980 MGB)
for about $6 or $8 plus shipping.

BTW, the Moss MGB catalog has a good diagram of the
Z-S carb on page 18.

Good luck
Peter Schauss
pschauss@aol.com