Re: Spark Plugs

To: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Subject: Re: Spark Plugs
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 1994 00:21:41 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 25 Jul 1994, Christopher Ball wrote:

> Now, these plug were put in new last fall and have less than 300 miles on
> them. But, they are ... Champions. Someone said a few negative things
> about this nearly larger than life brand last week. Having them snap off
> it was , I think.
>
> Well, I replaced all the plugs with NGKs and the car runs far better.
> Too cold, too soft a plug?  The make ? Waddaya think?

The Champion L87Y plugs I use in my daily driver TR4 seem just about
perfect for the engine (same as your TR3 engine, basically). What heat
range were you using?  May have been too hot, or too cold, or maybe you
just had a defective one.  I've always used Champions in all my cars, and
have never had a complaint.  Years ago I experimented with lots of other
brands, but with the exception of some no-namers from J.C. Whitless and
the like, I never saw a performance difference.  I settled on Champion
because they work and they're available everywhere.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
feold@umd5.umd.edu    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)