RE: 67 MGB - Jammed Starter

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 67 MGB - Jammed Starter
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 1994 11:41:19 -0400 (EDT)
The question about releasing a stuck MGB starter reminds me of my college
days (yes, cars had electric starters then).  A friend asked me for help;
his 50 F**d had gone "clunk" when he pressed the starter button, and would
do nothing more.  I went with him to the car, put it in 2nd gear,
stationed him at the front and myself at the back, and showed him how to
rock the car until the starter released.  I recommended he have a mechanic
fix it, but he was not the type to do something before he absolutely had
to.

A couple of weeks later, he called me.  He and his girl friend had parked
to discuss the meaning of life, and when they were finished, the starter
stuck again.  He told me they rocked the car for an hour, but it wouldn't
release, and he had hiked to a phone to call me and ask what to do next.
I asked what gear the transmission was in.  He said, "Oh, it was hard to
rock back and forth in gear, so I put it in neutral."

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910