67 MGB - Jammed Starter

To: <British-Cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: 67 MGB - Jammed Starter
From: "POCHE@music.loyno.edu" <POCHE@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 16:32:09 CDT
SendMail TO(BritCars) Subj(67 MGB - Jammed Starter) File(JUL28943.oma)
BlackTiger Mailer - Msg Created 07-28-1994 .. 14:35:36
The starter on my buddy's 67 MGB has jammed and it doesn't want to
>come out easily.  Some folks here suggested that we could put it into
>4th gear and give it a gentle pull backwards to move the flywheel and
>unjam the starter.

I gotta do that to my TR-3 reqularly. Most of the time
I just stick my foot out the door and rock the car back
and forth till it unlocks. SOmetimes I have to get out
and really push though. I know the TR-3 has some of the
shaft of the starter motor sticking out the back so in
extreme cases you can put a wrencd on the starter and turn
it backwards to free it. I don't thing the 'B has this
feature howerver. If all else fails just loosen the starter
bolts a little, until you hear the gears unmesh, (I used to
have to do that quite often on my old '68 Ford)

friend probably needs a new ring gear.

Good luck.
Louis Poche' - POCHE@music.loyno.edu