Synthetics and oil change intervals

To: british-cars@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Synthetics and oil change intervals
From: Dennis <IEDXW@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 08:29:44 -0700 (MST)
I use either Amsol 20-50 racing fully synthetic oil or Mobil 1.  Amsol
is spendy but they recomend changing the oil once every 12 months or 12K miles.
The amsol filter should be changed every 6 K miles or ^ months.

However, castrol say that you should  change their syntec oil at the specified
interval for your car.  In the states this is usually every 3K miles or 3 mo.
As i remember, for the cars in the UK the suggested oil change interval is
6K or 6 months.  Why there should be this difference I do not know as driving
in the UK is typically much more stop start and shorter journeys.  Since the
USA is such a commercially oriented country this might just be a marketing
ploy to get you to spend your $$ more often.  But then again engines do
appears to last longer over here than UK.  When it comes down to it, compared
to new engines, oil is cheap.

BTW, the amsol oil did not look good after the 12 months I left it in there
for, thats why I changed to Mobil 1, cheaper so i can change it more often.
I am actually talking about an air cooled VW Vanagon in Arizona.  The MG to
having the engine done at the moment.

Cheers Dennis