Re: Clunking from rear of midget

To: mj2@ukc.ac.uk (Mark Jermy)
Subject: Re: Clunking from rear of midget
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 10:32:03 -0500 (CDT)
> Could this be a propshaft CV joint?.

Sorry, no Constant-Velocity joints in a Midget.  Just two plain
old-fashioned Hooke universal joints in the propshaft.  That's "U-joints
in the driveshaft" to us Yanks.

> It could also be axle CV joints, I don't know if the Midget has these.

Nope.  Regular Hotchkiss rear end:  Live axle on leaf springs,
full-floating halfshafts.  No universal joints of any type on the axle.

>Or, possibly diff, I don't know much about diffs.

You can tell this with by getting under the car (good jackstands and eye
protection, please) and rotating stuff by hand to see what moves.  If it
is in the U-joints, fix it NOW.  It is cheap and the damage if it comes
apart is pretty scary.  Dick O'Kane tells about improperly re-installing a
driveshaft in a Jag.  It went from 3000 Revolutions Per Minute to 3000
Flails Per Minute.  Just the NOISE in the enclosed tunnel in a Spridget
would give you a heat attack.  If you pull the driveshaft to put in new
U-joints, don't forget to drain the transmission first.  Trust me.

If it is the diff, maybe you can ignore it til it gets really noisy.  I
successfully ignored mine for three years of autocrossing.  The repair
requires taking it all apart and reshimming for proper gear clearance and
possible replacement of parts.  You need a CLEAN place to do this and
preferably someone who knows what (s)he is doing.