Re: Old sparking plug cross-references

To: "Daren Stone" <DSTONE@sc9.intel.com>, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Old sparking plug cross-references
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 14:30:57 EST
>           The handbook for my Riley ('48 RMA) specifies
>      Champion L10S sparking plugs. Assuming this plug is no
>      longer called this (or no longer made) can someone
>      provide cross-references for either newer Champs or
>      other brands ?

My MG PA calls out something like KLG L.K.1's (Yea, right!) which I think
also crossed to or listed somewhere as Champ L10's, which are 14mm, 1/2"
reach.

It had L7's installed when I got it. Neither could I find. I called
Champion's Racing support on this one. (800-537-8984) They suggested L90C ,
or maybe L82C, which is colder. I think L87C are also a 1/2" plug, I'd have
to check my plug applications booklet. (And, I'd have to look and see what
#'s actually in there)

Hot vs Cold
A hot plug has it's electrode farther from the body (less ceramic), so it
retains heat better. A cold plug has more material to sink the heat away
faster, keeping it cooler. This is all while retaining the same electrode
"reach"- the length from the base of the seal to the end of the electrode.

You use a colder plug when you're running an engine hard, like racing, to
keep the plugs from overheating, and a hotter plug can be used in low stress
situations- like they help overcome oil fouling on my old 6V-coil, need rings
Ford tractors.

Regarding Champion quality- I've heard numerous tales about broken,
fractured, or otherwise defective plugs on a regular basis, even from the
places that make money selling them. High return rate. NGK's are generally
regarded as higher quality. I have NGK's in many of my cars, including the
race Bugeye. I do have Champs in the PA, as I couldn't find a cross for
this range of plugs.

      Roger Garnett           (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
        "The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."