Re: Old sparking plug cross-references

To: Roger Garnett <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: Old sparking plug cross-references
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 22:40:34 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 29 Jul 1994, Roger Garnett wrote:

> My MG PA calls out something like KLG L.K.1's (Yea, right!) which I think
> also crossed to or listed somewhere as Champ L10's, which are 14mm, 1/2"
> reach.
>
> It had L7's installed when I got it. Neither could I find. I called
> Champion's Racing support on this one. (800-537-8984) They suggested L90C ,
> or maybe L82C, which is colder. I think L87C are also a 1/2" plug, I'd have
> to check my plug applications booklet. (And, I'd have to look and see what
> #'s actually in there)

As a point of reference, the Champion plug originally specified for the
M.G.  TB, TC and early TD was the Champion L10S.  That was superceded by
the L7 (which you have), which was superceded by the L87Y, which was
superceded by the current L87YC. There may have been other supercessions
in that lineage that I've forgotten, but the point is that the L87YC is
the current replacement for the L7.

If your M.G. PA does okay with L7 plugs, it should do okay with the
current L87YC.  The main physical difference, which won't effect many
cars, is that the L87YC has an extended nose (that's what the "Y"  means)
while the L10S and L7 did not.  In a very few engines this _could_
interfere with the piston, but this shouldn't be a problem in your P-Type
(unless you've installed pop-up pistons or something equally unorthodox).
On the positive side, the extended nose provides a broader heat range
than the standard nose.

Yes, the L87C you mentioned would also be a 14mm X 1/2" thread.  All
L-series Champions have 1/2" long threads, the N-series are 3/4", and so
on..

Good luck finding the L90C, L87C, or L82C you mentioned.  How long ago did
you talk to Champion Racing?  I thought those plugs were out of
production.  The L87YC, OTOH, is available everywhere Champions are sold.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
feold@umd5.umd.edu    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)