TR3A windshield fasteners

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A windshield fasteners
From: laufer@rascal.med.harvard.edu (Ed Laufer)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 19:50:56 -0500
A friend of mine who is without access to the net has some questions about
his 1961 Triumph TR-3A.  Any info would be much appreciated.  Please send
advance.

Rich asks:
It seems as though a previous owner (I've had the car since 1969) removed
all ten of the original convertible top fasteners on the top of the
windshield frame, drilled out the threaded holes for them and replaced them
with a nonoriginal fastener.  The original fastners, of course, were small
(tennax?) fittings that screwed into threaded holes in the windshield
frame.  The replacement fasteners are flat head screws that go through the
windshield frame from the inside to the outside.  The end tip of this
fastener is the shape of the tip of the original fastener.  These
replacement fasteners are secured by a nut on the outside of the
windshield.  The dilemma is that all but one of these fasteners were lost.
I cannot use the original-type fasteners because the threaded holes are
drilled out.  I suspect the fasteners I have are either an aftermarket
replacement or fasteners used in another (British?) car.  I'd greatly
appreciate information on  how to get a hold of ten of these bolt-through
fasteners or how to restore the drilled-out holes in my windshield frame so
they will accept the original threaded fasteners.

-ed