Tuning HS2 carbs? (novice)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Tuning HS2 carbs? (novice)
From: pat@sbctri.sbc.com (Pat Niemeyer)
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 1994 09:43:02 -0500 (CDT)

Well, it took me a couple of weeks, but I finally managed to rebuild the
pair of HS2 carbs from my '66 Spit and get them back on the car....

And it still runs! ;)

I'm now fumbling with trying to tune them...

I have semi-coherent directions from a book on SU carbs, but I'm having
a little (well, a lot of) trouble.

First off, before I removed the carbs I replaced the points and set the
dwell properly, so I'm hoping that the ignition is ok.

I now have the carbs sucking about equal quantities of air (by adjusting
their idle screws individually) and the car is idling pretty smoothly -
I have attempted to adjust the jet adjusting bolts (per the books instructions)
to get the fastest idle speed.

(I find that there can be a great deal of play without much of a difference
in the idle... perhaps I have it running too fast.)

** The car is then idling alright, but when I open the throttle to any degree
it sputters and starts to stall... **

If I open the choke a bit it seems to rev-up much more easily - Ok, so I
assume I must that things are way too lean right?  But something must be
wrong... opening the choke moves the tubes much further than they could be
adjusted with the bolt...

There also seems to be some discrepancy in the way that the carbs react
when I open the throttle...  one seems to open up a bit faster.  I don't think
that there is anything wrong with the piston in the other one... (it feels
alright to my touch), but I don't know.

I'm very confused...

Do any of these simptoms sound familiar?

Forever in debt to the british-cars mailing list... ;)
Thanks,
Pat