Re: for sale & wanted

To: "PHIL JONES, PLANT PATHOLOGY ROTHAMSTED EXPERIMENTAL STATION" <phil.jones@afrc.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: for sale & wanted
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 01:25:40 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 7 Sep 1994, PHIL JONES wrote:

> 1. Has anyone retro-fitted an overdrive to a TR250? Should one go for a late
> TR6 box and J-type o/d or are there any A-types still out there?

Either can be used, but the J-type will require fabricating a new cross
member to handle the J-type rear mounts.  An A-type will bolt right onto
your existing cross member.

The trans used with the J-type is stronger (originally designed for the
Stag), but unless you plan to modify your engine in a really serious way
the earlier trans is plenty strong enough.  As far as everyday driving
is concerned, the only differences are that the late trans has very
slightly wider gear ratios than the early type, and OD works only in 3rd
and 4th instead of the early type's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

I don't know that the late trans with J-type OD is any easier to find than
the early trans with A-type OD.  The early type was used in the TR4,
TR4A, TR250, TR5, and early TR6, so there are a lot of them out there.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)
feold@umd5.umd.edu