Re: IGN light stays on...

To: gall@beta.uleth.ca, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: IGN light stays on...
From: Mike A Gendimenico <Mike_A_Gendimenico@ccm.sc.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 94 10:21:10 PST
Text item:

/Although I haven't checked with a voltmetre, I am pretty sure that the
/alternator really isn't functioning (at least fully) when the light is
/on - proof of this is that the battery runs down, and fails to start
/the car after a few days of the light remaining on.

I had the same problem on my GT6.  The diodes are shorted or flakey.
When the car is not running, the shorted diode(s) drain the battery and
the IGN light stays on.  I had my alternator rebuilt 3 months ago and
it died again two weeks ago.  The shop said the rectifier packs in
Lucas alternators are not too reliable (like we didn't know that
already!!) and they fixed it under warranty.
To check your alternator, start the car and attach a voltmeter to the
battery.  Rev the engine, the reading should be around 14v, if it
hovers around 12.5v, it's not being charged.

/For all of you that found you needed a ground strap between your
/alternator and the engine, was this the same symptom?

You shouldn't need one, but check by connecting an ohmmeter between the
alternator body and the battery - terminal. The reading should be around an ohm
or less.

Mike

Text item: External Message Header