Battle of the Brits

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Battle of the Brits
From: doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com (Douglas Mitchell)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 94 08:53:50 EDT
Well, we couldn't ahve asked for better weather, 78 degrees and clear
skies for the 12th Annual Battle of the Brits.

We had about 175 cars, and nearly as many bikes, with the cars being as
varied as a '67 Cobra 427 to Minis. I don't remember seeing such a variety
of cars.

Since BotB is a non judging event, the cars a not parked in any particular
order, so numbers are hard to quantify.

I did see fellow SOL'er and Roadster Factory rep Dana Henry but I don't
think any others were around.

There were 3 Landies, all 88s, and a Range Rover. But no Rover cars which
is somewhat surprising.

Flocks of MGBs as well as Midgets. There was Arkley in the parking lot too.
A couple of MGAs, but no T series cars. They must have been in hiding. Or
maybe they didn't show because there were no trophies. :-)

A few E-type Jaguars, as well as a couple of sedans including a Mark 10.

Triumphs abounded, running the gamut from a TR2 to TR8s as well as Spits and
GT6s. There was one Spit-6, no sedans but there were 2 Stags.

There were some less commonly seen cars such as a Morgan trike, a couple
of Marcos', a number of TVRs, and a few Loti. The Loti ranged from Sevens
to a newish Elan, with a Europa and an original Elan thrown in for good
measure.

The early cars were limited to a '52 Singer and an older sedan that I
can't remember what the heck it was. The memory is failing.

One of the more unusual cars was a Reliant Sabra built in Israel. Chris
Pallasch was just talking about these in an article on September 1. Kind
of a strange looking beast. It has a Ford Cortina 2L engine. The owner
said that only about 250 were made, and he found this car in Florida about
3 years ago. He told me that there was another car here in Michigan.

Three or four Minis, including one for sale.

Speaking of cars for sale, if you wanted a sports car, you really had a
number to choose from. I saw TR3, TR4, TR6, TR7, Lotus Elan (new), Marcos,
several Midgets, an MGB and a rare MGC GT with automatic. Most were in good
nick, but the MGB was a restorer's nightmare, as well as one of the Midgets.
The MGC looked like someone had started the restoration and lost interest or
money or both, but appeared to be fairly complete.

If there were any other SOLers there, naybe they can fill in the holes.

Doug Mitchell

PS - Remember the English Day at the Races this Sunday at Waterford Hills.