Another LI NY car show

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Another LI NY car show
From: Kendall Robinson <kendallr@smtplink1.chey.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 94 08:23:35 EST
Text item: Text_1

          I happened onto a car show yesterday at Sagamore Hill (Historic
          home of Teddy Roosevelt).  This is an annual show, not very
          large, but usually has some very interesting autos.  Let me just
          briefly mention the two most interesting cars that I saw.

          Number one was a 193? MG M Type.  I should have taken better
          notes as to the year, etc.  The woman who owned the car picked it
          up, as near as I could understand, from an estate sale.  The car
          is in very good shape.  She had redone all the woodwork recently.
          According to her, this Midget (they were called Midgets, weren't
          they?) was unique because it had metal over the wood skin, not
          fabric, or canvas, or whatever material they used. The "boat
          tail" section was metal as well.  Neat little car.

          Number two was a 1930 Bugatti Type 50.  This was a really cool
          car.  According to the owner, this exact car ran at LeMans in
          1931 or thereabouts.  The car is fairly original.  I think the
          owner has only replaced or rebuilt parts as they've worn.  Some
          of the people admiring it, coaxed the owner into starting it.
          Simply amazing.  I forget the size of the motor, but it was
          supercharged.  The exhaust was about 4 inches in diameter and
          there were other racerish looking things about the car such as
          the fuel fillers, wheels, etc.  I think the owner said his was
          the only type 50 left.  This car has got to worth a fortune.
          Yes?

          Anyway, I was getting gas at the local gas station later in the
          day and the Bugatti went driving past.  It sounded like a modern
          high performance car, not a 60 year old piece of history.

          Kendall
          kendallr@chey.com