Spitfire

To: Scions of Lucas <British-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire
From: <RGS03%ALBNYDH2.bitnet@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 94 09:16:19 EDT
To: Substress

Sub,
You wont get XKE speed from the Spit even *with* the GT6 engine.
It would definitely be faster than the stock Spit gear but there
are problems to overcome.
The easiest way to accomplish this swap is not to put the GT6 gear
in the Spit but rather to buy a GT6 and replace the body tub with the
Spitfire's. Of course, then you no longer have a Spitfire. You have a
roadster GT6. Different VIN#, different car.
There's another alternative. For less $$$ and hassle you can do a
lot of breathing on the Spit engine. Mill, port and polish the head,
hotter cam, weber or dual SU carbs, lighten the flywheel, balance the
engine, change the pistons. I've done all this and the difference
from stock is astonishing. You can do a lot for around $3k and you
wouldn't have all those spare Spitfire bits and GT6 body to store or
try to sell. (Of course I will gladly accept all donations of spare
Spit parts, any time!)

Rik Schlierer
NYSDOH_Local Assistance
Albany NY