Re: Spitfire Neophyte

To: "R. Heyman" <consult@DGS.dgsys.com>, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Neophyte
From: LESNYD@ccmail.monsanto.com
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 94 11:32:42 CST
Subject: Spitfire Neophyte
Author:  "R. Heyman" <consult@DGS.dgsys.com>
Date:    9/9/94  5:13 PM

<g>  No flames please to this British car newbie.  I picked up a 1980
Spitfire this spring in excellent condition, and it's been a joy driving
it through the hills of Maryland and Northern Virginia.  With the
exception of a few minor repairs (new accelerator cable, hoses etc.),
I've had no real problems except:

1.  There is, what seems to be, a unusual amount of heat generated from
the engine compartment, felt by the ocuupants of the cockpit: both driver
and passenger.  Is this a Spitfire specialty?  If so (or not).. can
someone reccommend a method of reducing this heat flow.  It does make the
car a bit unbearable on hot summer days (though I suspect it will be
somewhat welcome in October).

       Not unusual at all! Go to your friendly building supplies store, and
       purchase some mylarized bubble pack insulation. It's about 1/4" thick,
       has great insulating properties, and won't hold water. It's shiny
       and silver, and comes on a wide roll. Put that under the carpets
       and you will see a DRAMATIC improvement.

2.  I discovered that the exhaust manifold has a slight fissure... I, and
my mechanic have been unable to locate a replacement.  Bristish Victoria,
for instance, shows the part as part of the exhaust assembly but does not
label or sell it.  Can anyone point me towards a likely source?

       If you want a NEW manifold, try Rimmer Brothers or John Kipping
       in England. There should be LOTS of them in the junkyards.

3.  I am going to replace the top.  I've seen prices for the original
(and OEM).. vinyl (leatherette) at approx $US 300 and for a 'cloth' top
at approx $US 500.  Question:  Is the cloth top 'worth' it?  I imagine
that it is more attractive than the vinyl..  but I wonder about
durability.  Any opinions will be welcome.

        I vote for vinyl. I think it looks more original and is tougher.

Cheers,

Rob

         Larry Snyder, lesnyd@monsanto.com