Spitfire neophyte

To: Scions of Lucas <British-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire neophyte
From: <RGS03%ALBNYDH2.bitnet@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 94 11:03:02 EDT
To: Rob Heyman

Congratulations on buying one of the great fun cars Britian ever
produced (can you tell we own Spitfires?)

Heat is a problem on every SpitI've ever driven, even Vicki's 77
which she bought new and whose trans cover has not been removed and
reinstalled many times. Our solution was to buy some high performance
insulation (mylar foil and bubble plastic) and line the passenger
compartment (floors, firewall and trans tunnel) under the carpets.
Took the interior temp down about 20 degrees.

Someone on the list probably has an exhaust manifold from a parts car
that you could trade for cash. I've been told that it is possible to
weld cracks in cast iron manifolds but I wouldn't bet on it. Worth a
question if you know a good welder, just dont get your hopes up.

Vinyl tops are cheaper and work just fine, but tend to stretch in the
heat and shrink and become brittle in the very cold. Cloth tops look
great but I know nothing about their durability. You could probably
replace the vinyl a couple times for the price of the cloth.

Good luck

Rik Schlierer
NYSDOH_Local Assistance
Albany NY