TR6/TVR Rear Wheel Bearing Question

To: UNIXML::"british-cars@autox.team.net"@lotus.com
Subject: TR6/TVR Rear Wheel Bearing Question
From: Steven_Jackson.LOTUS@CRD.lotus.com
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 94 19:21:26 EDT
Hello:

I've have a question for which the answer I think could well contained
somewhere in the collective wisdom of this group. The car is a '76 TVR 2500M
that just turned 12K original miles.

1.)  Rear wheel bearings. As most folks may know, the 2500M uses loads of
Triumph bits borrowed from the venerable TR6. Well, my car doesn't have a lot
of miles on it, which may actually contribute to the problem, but the driver's
side rear wheel, when I rock it back and forth through different planes, has a
notable amount of movement. I haven't got the dial indicator out to measure it,
so I don't know how much, but the passenger side offers much less movement than
the driver's side by comparison. Universal joints are OK, all other suspension
links are tight. Looks like wheel bearings.

The questions. In the TR6 bearing design, can the bearing end float change
without being due to worn bearing races? That is, can this end float adjustment
change due to factors other than bearing wear? The car obviously hasn't been
driven very much in it's lifetime. I know this lack of use can be detrimental
to the longevity of bearing balls and races, but pitted bearings are usually
noisy, and the wheel spins noiselessly, even at speed. Can this end float be
readjusted? Or do you always have to start over again with a new crush spacer
when attempting to adjust bearing end float? Not that my skill with a wrench
and micrometer are lacking, but I've never done this job before, and I could
imagine that if attempted it myself, I could go through a lot of crush spacers.
The difficult of this job is already legendary.

Thanks,

- Steven