re: TR6/TVR Rear Wheel Bearing Question

To: Steven_Jackson.LOTUS@CRD.lotus.com
Subject: re: TR6/TVR Rear Wheel Bearing Question
From: blaced@CHMA.CIBA.COM (D. Lacey)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 94 12:03:09 +0200
Dear Steven,

I've just had a rear wheel bearing fail on my TR4A (same design). This
was noted by a loud deep-seated clonk when going round corners, like
something big had shifted in the boot. The O/S rear wheel bearing had
about 3mm of slop in it. Looking back, I now realise that when the
stone guard on the back of the bearing assy is loose, its an early
sign of failure. Rebuilding the bearing is cheap, but requires accurate
end float set-up. Luckily same assy is used on triumph 2000s, so I just
fitted this type (one I had lying around). Dont drive far once you know
the bearing is dodgy, as the bearing fails completely and the UJ yoke
starts to eat thru the trailing arms on TRs. Always check the condition of
the stub axle if you do dismantle the bearing, as catastrophic failure
of this part is not unknown (resulting in loss of rear wheel).

If you need a cheap bearing kit try Speedy Spares, shoreham, sussex, UK.
They had them for 8 quid a few years ago.

Cheers,

Dave Lacey  ('67 TR4a)