Landie shipping

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Landie shipping
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 94 09:13 EDT
> From: "Hussein, Derya" <husseind@cclink.tfn.com>
> Subject: LAND ROVER's (Help Me!!)

>    I have a This particular Land Rover in London England (My Home town)
>    and would like to bring it over to Boston Ma. USA to where I now
>    reside. I know that there would be work done to the vehicle, fuel
>    emissions and a catlystic conveter. I have been living in the U.S.A
>    now for almost 3 years and am also wondering if there are any taxes
>    that I have to pay when I bring a car over??.

There is only ONE sure way to get this information - when you are in
England get in contact with a good shipper, who has experience in shipping
cars between the UK and USA and talk to them. Just to make sure the information
is correct - talk to TWO shipping companies and compare notes.

There are many variables which will dictate whether or not you may bring a
vehicle
into the USA. These include your current status (citizen, green card, Visa etc),
the age of the car, the time you expect to keep the car in the USA, will
it be exported again, the type of under-wear you wear on the day you ask
questions !!.

I picked up all the relevant pamphlets from the DVLC and Customs and Exise,
read
them 3 or 4 times and still I was confused. Eventually I talked to a shipping
agent who gave me all the relevant details. I brought my car into the US 11
years
ago and had no problems at all.

A friend of a friend just brought over a Mini from the UK, again with no
problems.

Gerry