re:tr6 o/d

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (Receipt Notification Requested) (Non Receipt Notification Requested) (IPM Return Requested) (Reply Requested)
Subject: re:tr6 o/d
From: "PHIL JONES <PHIL.JONES@BBSRC.AC.UK>" <phil.jones@afrc.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 18:38:09 +0100
Mike Himelfarb wrote about his tr6 o/d not working.

First I'd check the solenoid and wiring, If they are OK then check gearbox oil
level.  You should be able to hear the solenoid click in and out.  Since the
o/d operates on oil pressure if the solenoid is stuck half in you might expect
the o/d to come in as your speed built up.  If both solenoid, wiring and oil
are OK then you need to check the hydraulic pressure.  You could engage the
clutch fiercely with o/d supposedly switched in on overrun 3rd gear at 40-45
MPH.  (should read 40 - 45mph).  I have copy of laycock j type maual if you
would like copy.

There was some comment on gas recently.  My TR6 was imported from Az in 1990
and has run on leaded 97 since.  Do you USA SOLers run on lead free?  Can I
switch without ruining the engine?

Phil  <phil.jones@bbsrc.ac.uk>