Re: TR6 Overdrive not working

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Overdrive not working
From: doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com (Douglas Mitchell)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 94 12:58:55 EDT
I knew that there was another article that I wanted to reply to.

One suggestion that I have regarding the od is to look at the solenoid
itself. The acutator slide in the solenoid is not supposed to be permanently
attached to the solenoid. If it is, it may have rusted in place. It may
be necessary to either take the slide out and polish it, or replace the
solenoid entirely. The solenoid comes from The Roadster Factory with
both pieces.

You can bench test the solenoid if you have a battery charger or a DC
Power Supply. To do this, remove the solenoid and slider from the car.
Connect the solenoid to the supply/charger with + going to the pigtail
wire, and - going to the body of the solenoid. Turn on the supply. Watching
the ammeter, the initial current should be approximately 20 amps., but
should drop to about 3 to 5 amps. almost immediately. The numbers are close,
but may not be exact as I am a little hazy on them. If your solenoid reacts
like this, than you can elimnate the solenoid as a source of you problem.

Doug Mitchell
When it works, the overdrive is the greatest thing going, but when it doesn't
work, it is a bear to troubleshoot.