Re: MGB OD conversion

To: ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB OD conversion
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 94 09:53:53 -0700
In message <1994Sep16.104907-0500@[129.59.101.95]> "A. B. Bonds" writes:
> I am about to drop an OD tranny into my 1973 MGB.  The tranny seems to
> be of appropriate vintage, since it has an LH OD (black label).  After
> going down some false paths, I have divined that the current non-OD
> driveshaft will work OK, and that the speedo gears are close. I
> calculate that with the non-OD speedo, it will read about 1% slower
> than actual speed.  Than seems irrelevant, since that kind of error
> can come from tire pressure.  It would appear that the only
> exceptional bit is to get a longer speedo cable.
>
> I would appreciate hearing of any hidden snags that others who have
> done similar operations may have encountered.
>
>                       A. B. Bonds  ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu

Been there did that in a '68 BGT.  Used the stock drive shaft.  You need the
longer spedo cable & a midget with small hands to attach it to the back of the
guage.

You will probably ned a new transmission mounting block.  The rubber swells
badly.

On mine, and I think all of them the OD switch was already installed 7 the wires
were in the main harness.  Its just a matter of connecting the OD sub harness to
the loose ends of the main harness.

Its an easy swap since the standard car is an overdrive car without the OD
itself.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561