Re: Tire source for 165R14 (73 MGB, Rostyle)

To: bcrulifs@eos.ncsu.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire source for 165R14 (73 MGB, Rostyle)
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 94 09:32:11 -0700
In message <9409190603.AA11289@c00080-100lez.eos.ncsu.edu> "Brian      -
bcrulifs@eos.ncsu.edu" writes:
>       I've had this particular car for closing on two years now, and the
> entire time it's had four, different, used tires of various tread depth,
> and half of them are now past their legal depth.
>       I'm looking for a source of 155R14 or 165R14 or equivalent tires (what
> is the aspect on these, anyway?).  Primarily I'm looking for ones that
> won't shake my arms off at 70 mph any longer and will get me from point
> a-b without having to slow in the corners too much.  Thanks for your
> suggestions (I'd appreciate direct e-mail [bcrulifs@eos.ncsu.edu] as
> it's difficult to find things on the list sometimes.)
>
> Brian
> Raleigh, NC, USA --- 73 MGB

My suggestion will only work for people with $$$ and wire wheels that need
replacing anyway.

My solution is tho change over to 15 inch wheels.  It will then take the same
size tyre that the VW bug takes.  There are lots of tyre choices for the 15 inch
rim.  You can go with a 60 or 70 sries tyre and get the same overall tyre
diameter that the stock B has.  I would suggest 60 spoke wheels as being more
sturdy and a half an inch wider.

I followed Scott Fisher #1's lead and went to mini lite type knock off wheels.
Where he went 14 inch, I went 15 inch and use 60 series tyres to get the same
overall diameter.  Looks nice, holds the road much better and I can rest assured
that if a tyre fails in outer Slabovia that I would have no problem finding a
replacement in stock.

I do not know what 15 inch rims would fit a bolt on wheel...but you can always
convert to knockoffs.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561