Rover 3500

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars Network)
Subject: Rover 3500
From: andrew@server.uwindsor.ca (Templer Andrew)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 94 9:07:34 EDT
Jody Levine asked about the Rover 3500.  I saw some of the beauties at
the Toronto day and can see why he would be tempted.  I don't remember
noting which of the 3500 engined Rovers were for sale (there were three
different models there which share the same engine).  But I assume it was
the wedge-shaped newest model which would be for sale - partly because
most owners of the earlier models would never part with them!

I am certainly no expert, but will just comment on one experience.  For a
number of years when I was employed in human resources in a telecom
factory, our manufacturing manager refused the company car (Merc 220) and
insisted on Rovers.  He had enough power to get away with this demand and
so had an around '70 3500; '73 3500s; and the wedge shaped 3500 Executive
around '79.
They were all wonderful cars to drive, but cost the company almost twice
as much to maintain as the co cars - the major problem being insufficient
expertise on the part of the dealers.  Usually worse after servicing than
before (sound familiar Brit Car owners?).  The assembly quality over the
three cars he had was in reverse order of age  - last model particularly
bad.  The good news was that the wedge models were considerably simpler,
particularly in the De Dion rear suspension complexity of the earlier
cars.  Also there were major corrosion problems between the aluminium
body panels and steel frame of the earlier models.

So I guess the watchword is, take care.  Make sure someone from the local
Rover group gives you advice.  But, when you look at the quality of
(particularly earlier) Rover products, you can see why owners love them.
Pity the assembly problems and negative service support from British
Leyland gave them such a hard time over here.

Hope this helps,

Andrew
Andrew Templer     Answerphone: 519-253-4232     Ext 3159
                   Telefax:     519-973-7073     EMAIL: andrew@uwindsor.ca