Re: it could happen to you

To: cak@parc.xerox.com_at_internet_gateway@ccm.jf.intel.com,
Subject: Re: it could happen to you
From: Mike A Gendimenico <Mike_A_Gendimenico@ccm.sc.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 94 07:41:08 PST
Text item:

/I thought it couldn't happen to me - I was wrong. You have been warned.

/Up comes the bonnet, and it was immediately obvious from the melted
/insulation on the choke cable what had happened. No damage, other than
/that the choke cable
/is now stuck solid; presumably it has either welded itself that way or the
/melting insulation has jammed it. Either way, it needs replacing.

/It could have been much worse. I went immediately and bought a new positive
/cable with a terminal cap that covers completely...

It already happened to me a couple of years ago.  Fortunatly, I was only in
my driveway.  Same thing, did some work, closed the bonnet and smoke
everywhere.  Fried the choke cable, not cheap about $50 for a new one.
Thanks to Richard George for coming through with a used one.  For a permanant
soluton, I replaced the battery with a shorty used in early (77-79) BMW
320i's.  It's about 2-3 inches shorter than a standard battery.  There's no
chance of the cables being crunched on the terminal and it fits perfectly in
the battery box.  They're a few $$$ more than a standard battery, since they
pack in more plates.  If you think this is bad, I've seen a crispy fried 320i
where someone put a standard battery in place of the shorty.  The hood makes
direct contact with the positive terminal... =:(

Text item: External Message Header