Re: Seeking pointers for painting/reinstalling MGB engine

To: haferman@icaen.uiowa.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seeking pointers for painting/reinstalling MGB engine
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 94 08:49:06 -0700
In message <199409211944.OAA14114.489C1@icaen.uiowa.edu> Jeff Haferman writes:

>  He welded the crankshaft back together, and then machined it.

??????????????????

> 2) I would like to paint the engine and transmission - I'm planning on
>    painting the engine block and transmission red, and the valve cover,
>    water pump, and pulleys black.  Should I also paint the manifold
>    and oil pan, or just leave them alone?

Normally, the transmission is not painted, the engine including valve cover is
painted a very dark shade of red.  Moss sells the correct colour.  I believe the
fan is yellow.  Paint the oil pan the colour of the engine, leave the manifolds
alone.  These are suggestions.  Please feel free to paint it any colour you
wish.

> 3) I'm planning on re-inserting the engine and transmission as a unit,
>    is there anything I need to do before reattaching the engine to
>    the transmission?  (A friend mentioned that I'll need a clutch
>    alignment tool...)

when the engine is out, its a good time to clean up the engine bay

> 4) I remember the weird angle that the engine/tranny came out of the
>    car, I think I'll be able to get it back in fine...

The pain will be connecting the underside transmission mount to the frame.

> 5) What parts do I need to order now so that I have everything on
>    hand when I'm putting everything back together?  Which gaskets?
>    Anything in particular I should replace?

I'm assuming you have a complete engine completely assembled including
manifolds.  Look very closely at the engine & transmission mounting blocks.
Replace any that are not in excellent condition.  Recondition the threads on the
studs that connect your exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe.  You want a good
tight connction & new packing gaskets.  You might want to clean out the oil
radiator, and connect a hose to the heater radiator & see what crud you can
clean out.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344                         TR3A - TS75519L,
                       MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, Land Rover 109 - 164000561