Spitfire Mk. IV

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Mk. IV
From: <amace%sedofis@VM1.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 94 13:01:41 EST
 Computer problems are currently keeping me from my regular BC list
 access, so I don't remember who posted the mini-chronology of Spitfires
 in answer to the owner of a 1969 Mk.3, but one minor correction is in
 order (apologies if this already has been taken care of):
 The Spitfire Mk. IV ran TWO years, 1971 and 1972. The latter featured
 (at least in the U.S) a *blacked-out* rear valence (where the taillights are)
 and a low-compression 1296 cc. engine; otherwise it's much like the 1971
 (black
 plastic simulated vinyl *Federal* dashboard, etc.). The 1500 was introduced
 the U.S. in 1973 (and in the U.K., I believe, a bit
 later). I am quite familiar with the 1972 models, having purchased
 twin dark blue parts-only 1972s many years ago, and having also spent
 much time over the past 8-9 years helping a friend keep alive his
 dark blue 1972 (triplets?). That car is now powder blue, with wood
 dash from a 1973, but otherwise to 1972 specs. The other two are long
 since only someone's bittersweet memories, with good bits in the barn
 and one tub slowly returning to its natural state outside! (What the
 PO firmly believed was a restorable, driveable car was scary, to say
 the least!)

 Andy Mace, whose memory problems are, for now, limited to my PC
 Hoags Corners (somewhere SE of Albany), NY