Re: Spit/GT6 conversions

To: <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spit/GT6 conversions
From: <amace%sedofis@VM1.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 94 16:43:56 EST
 I agree, Greg, about 98 percent. I don't think, depending on the year,
 that I'd want to use the pre-1971 non-synchro-first Spit tranny on the
 conversion, nor would I really want any of the various 4.11:1 Spit
 rear ends behind the GT6 motor. That said, it really is in many ways
 the car S-T should have built, had they the funding, foresight, ability
 to overcome corporate intertia, etc., etc. Much the same way, their
 fortunes might have been very different today had they stayed with and
 improved as necessary some of the *family* cars for the North American
 market, especially the 2000/2.5 sedans and estates. Hindsight, as they

 The ultimate, if I had the time, money, blah, blah, blah: *winter*
 (coupe) and *summer* (convertible) bodies for the same chassis, much
 the same way that some upscale touring cars of the 1920s had winter
 and summer bodies! Now I DO have that 1970 Spitfire tub (that was going
 to become the resurrection of my Mk.3 Spitfire basket case), and my
 1970 GT6+....maybe someday.

 Andy Mace
 Hoags Corners, NY, USA