Re: British Cars Digest #1375...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1375...
From: TVRVixen@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 94 17:16:06 EDT
>On Thu, 22 Sep 1994, Greg Meboe wrote:

>> On Sun, 18 Sep 1994 TVRVixen@aol.com wrote:
>> > The worst boge I ever saw:
> >> I was working at an independent sports car shop in 1971 in a university
town.
> >>  A customer (one of those over-educated but cheap university types) had
> >> Lotus Elan. He had fixed his own brakes.  His car had had a leaking
steel
> > >brake line.  To fix it he had wrapped it with layers of aluminum foil
and
>> > epoxy glue. Need I say more?
>> > Don         ^^^^ ^ ^^^ ^^^^
>>  Don, Yes I do think you need to say more.  I don't see the bodge
> >and I reread it three times.
> >    Greg Meboe   meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
>   >  Dept of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
>   >  Washington State UNIVERSITY  Pullman, Wa.
>

>I wondered myself.  I think it must be that he shouldn't have wasted money
>on the aluminum foil; the epoxy alone should have been sufficient.

>   Ray Gibbons, B.S., Ph.D.

        >        Professor of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
        >        UNIVERSITY of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
         >       gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

You guys crack me up.  Wasted money on al. foil?  Can't see the bodge?  How
about explaining to your widow that you were too cheap to buy a $6 brake line
and fix it right instead of glueing it together.  The point of this, as an
example of a nasty bodge, is that a proper repair is cheap and easy, the
parts cost and time involved is small.  The consequences of a failure of the
epoxy is death.

You guys may be "(one of those over-educated but cheap university types)" who
I came to despise while working in a university town or maybe not, but I
would suggest you leave the brake work on your vehicles to a someone who
actually took shop class in high school and who knows how to use a brake line
flaring tool.

That would make a great obituary wouldn't it?

                            "The epoxy should have been sufficient?"

No offense intended, I just can't believe anyone would argue this one,

Don