Puddles and Stereotypes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars Network)
Subject: Puddles and Stereotypes
From: andrew@server.uwindsor.ca (Templer Andrew)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 94 20:52:22 EDT
First on stereotypes:  About a week ago I mentioned the stereotype of
Britcar owners as middle-aged, male, macho and mildy algophile.  Just to
report from the replies I have received so far - it's really only the
middle aged that most of you have objected to.

Then on puddles:  I was amused at the story about the Vanden Plas 1300
owner whose car died after a fierce drive through a mighty puddle.  Again
I show my stereotyping, but I have rarely met a VP owner who would dare
drive like that.  Mostly they are rather sedate, enjoying the low key
prestige that this marque brings.

Now having just said this, let me tell you about my efforts to get a VP at
the danger of revealing too much about my own inclinations?? When I went
to study as a student in the UK (from South Africa) in 1974 I tried very
hard to buy one of the last VP 1300's made.  Actually spoke to the London
BMC marketing manager who said that the last few had just been sold (Sept
74) and that there had been a flurry to get these (M registration) before
the much less desirable Allegro Vanden Plas appeared.  I suppose it says
something that now, about the only VPs of that era that survive are the
1100/1300's and the earlier 6 cylinder Princesses and 4litreR's.

Most SOL's in North America will probably have never heard of the VP
1300, so it was fun to read the puddle-jumper story!

Cheers

Andrew
Andrew Templer     Answerphone: 519-253-4232     Ext 3159
                   Telefax:     519-973-7073     EMAIL: andrew@uwindsor.ca