RE: Various topics in today's digest

To: Paul.Garside@seagatesoftware.com.'British-cars@autox.team.net'.British-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Various topics in today's digest
From: "Don Mathis" <don1@mailstart.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 05:40:21 -0700
Paul,

Thank you.  It's good to be back.  I'm still in the corporate
world and not traveling as much as I was.

The MGA is 99% restored other than a few things like re-painting
the wire wheels, and fixing the headlight dimmer switch. It is
a fun car.

 I just received my 1937 Derby Bentley back from the painter
about 3 weeks ago.  I've only had the car for 24 years !  One
daughter out of college and married and only one daughter still
in college and somehow managed to justify the expense (although
my wife still wavers !!!)

It is dark blue and will have a grey-tan leather seats with dark
blue piping.  The 18" wire wheels will be painted the same grey-tan
with black walls.  The work goes slowly (24 years ....no kidding!!)
 I am re-adjusting the running boards, wiring it, reinstalling
the window/crank mechanisms, and looking for a few parts such
as Ace tear-drop parking light lenses, etc.  Since the sunroof
blew off on the expressway while being hauled by a wrecker, I
have to design and fabricate a sunroof.  Another challenge.....

Cheers,

Don Mathis

I don't know
>their address, but you could do worse than start with Simon
Taylor, Managing
>Editor or "Classic & Sports Car" who is registrar of Ford-engined
Aces. If
>not, are they just worn? Then you could have them remetalled
and remachined.
>Or, if the metal left was thick enough, machined and use undersize
bearings.

>....and fiberglass/fibreglass:
>One side (probably the engine side, as it's visible) would have
had gel coat
>on it. This is a pigmented polyester of a more resilient formulation
than
>lay-up resin, to give some protection to knocks. You can buy
it from a boat
>suppliers and paint it on. You could use it both sides, though
I expect
>epoxy would also do.
>
>The Birds, The Birds!:
>The car in "The Birds" is a DB Mark III (sometimes erroneously
known as a
>DB3, which was sports-racer). Nice car, the last with the WO
>Bentley-designed engine.
>
>Paul.

Sent from a WebBox - http://www.webbox.com
FREE Web based Email, Files, Bookmarks, Calendar, People and
Great Ways to Share them with Others!