Re: UK MOT test; Welding Standards

To: "Matt Rathney-Quinn" <tfg.tv2@virgin.net>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: UK MOT test; Welding Standards
From: "Neil Sherry" <sherry@invention-machine.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:56:33 +0100
Matt,

My welding is also normally of the 'functional' variety - and have never had
a problem with MoT tests. Where I have fitted repair panels to external
areas, I have ground back - still leaving a sound weld. But
underbody/chassis repairs I do not grind, unless there is a major build up
of excess metal. Most of the time it's not worth the bother.

As far as I am aware the main MoT requirement is that all patches must be
continuously welded to maintain the integrity of the panel/member. I often
use a spot welder where panels join - if that was how the original panels
joined. Apart from that, if the metal you are welding to is sound, and the
patch is no thinner than the original piece there should be no reason to
worry. As for testing before painting/finishing, again I have never had a
problem turning up with it all finished. After all they don't ask to strip
the paint etc. off last year's repairs!

Neil